- Ryu - Flow
- Do not meet the force straight on. Disperse it and
let it flow by.
- Fluid movement maximizes the transition between
offense to defense and defense to offense. Manipulate the
- Fluidity allows for the synthesis of external and
internal energy. Learn to coordinate both forces.
- Won- Circle
- Centripetal, centrifugal, spinning forces are utilized
for efficient self-defense techniques.
- Circular movements make it possible to use the opponent's
strength against him. It also allows for offensive and defensive
techniques to be executed simultaneously. The stronger the
attacking force of the opponent, stronger the force of retaliation.
- The circle symbolizes the source of the universe
and its limitlessness (refer to the explanation of the Kidohae
symbol). In Hapkido the circle represents the comprehensiveness
of the art, which includes linear, arcing, circular offensive
and defensive techniques. It also reminds us that there
can be no bounds in our martial arts training. Only through
continual training and patience one can progress forward.
- Wha - Harmony
- Harmony of the law of mind, ki, body (refer to the
explanation of simbub, kibub, shinbub in guidelines of Kidohae
curriculum) implies the foundation of martial arts.
- Harmonize with opponent's force and make that force
- Harmonize the principles of martial arts to understand
its true meaning. Never discontinue training in order to
find the righteous path of man.